Over time, your teeth can go from white to not-so-bright for a number of reasons:
- Food and Drink: Coffee, tea and red wine are some major staining culprits. What do they have in common? Intense color pigments called chromogens that attach to the white, outer part of your tooth (enamel).
- Tobacco Use: Two chemicals found in tobacco create stubborn stains: Tar and nicotine. Tar is naturally dark. Nicotine is colorless until it’s mixed with oxygen. Then, it turns into a yellowish, surface-staining substance.
- Age: Below the hard, white outer shell of your teeth is a softer area called dentin. Over time, the outer enamel layer gets thinner with brushing and more of the yellowish dentin shows through.
- Trauma: If you’ve been hit in the mouth, your tooth may change color because it reacts to an injury by laying down more dentin, which is a darker layer under the enamel.
- Medications: Tooth darkening can be a side effect of certain antihistamines, antipsychotics and high blood pressure medications. Young children who are exposed to antibiotics like tetracycline and doxycycline when their teeth are forming (either in the womb or as a baby) may have discoloration of their adult teeth later in life. Chemotherapy and head and neck radiation can also darken teeth.
BENEFITS OF TEETH WHITENING
If you’re unhappy with the appearance of your teeth, there are several cosmetic dentistry treatments available to improve the look of your smile, including professional teeth whitening. While you can certainly try over-the-counter products first, what you may find is that the results don’t live up to your expectations. With teeth whitening from StarWhite Dental, you’ll see the impressive results you crave and enjoy a more youthful appearance as a result.
The main benefit of this procedure is the improvement to the appearance of your smile. In just a single, in-office session, you could see up to eight shades of whitening, eliminating years of staining in about 45 minutes. With proper care, results could last up to 24 months, and with touch ups, you’ll enjoy a brighter smile indefinitely.
In addition, improving the appearance of your smile can help to boost your confidence and improve your social life. Do you hide your smile behind your hand or keep your mouth closed because you’re embarrassed by yellow or stained teeth? With professional teeth whitening, you’ll be proud to flash your radiant smile and display your friendly personality, improving social interactions.
Teeth whitening is one of the easiest and fastest ways to update your smile, restore a youthful appearance, and boost your confidence. It’s also an affordable alternative to other cosmetic procedures meant to help you look younger, like plastic surgery, for example. With instant results and long-term benefits, there’s no reason not to schedule an appointment for teeth whitening with the talented team at StarWhite Dental.
ZOOM WHITENING AT STARWHITE DENTAL
- Get your teeth noticeably whiter with Phillips Zoom whitening system. Results with Zoom can be highly successful and many patients see up to 8 shades whiter teeth in just 45 minutes.
- Come in and ask about our free whitening for life program.